tomtom is turning 30 on tuesday. whoa!
we celebrated on friday night with dinner at his house, then out in newport. i swore i was going to stay sober after last weekend, but alas, i did not. i tried a dark n’ stormy. i may not give up my beloved g&ts for it, but it was delightful. maybe i can pass as a true newporter now.
to said dinner party, i took a favorite: cake balls! they’re wicked easy to make and always a hit, so i thought i’d share the recipe!
you’ll need the following:
- 1 box cake mix
- 1 package frosting
- chocolate bark [but i used melted chocolate chips]
- wax paper
you can use any cake/frosting combo you want. my favorite is red velvet, but i took devil’s food/chocolate mix. funfetti is fun-TASTIC.
- bake a cake in a 13×9 according to box instructions.
- let it cool!
- once cool, crumble it up into a big bowl.
- mix in 1 can frosting. mix by hand – it feels disgusting but is easiest to do.
- roll into balls, put on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
- freeze for an hour or so.
- dip in melted chocolate – i use a fork for this.
- let the chocolate harden and serve.
it’s wicked messy, but so much fun. they were a huge hit!