my flair for the dramatic aside, my trip to DC was fan-freaking-tastic. i wish i had been there for more than 48 hours, but my time was, as usual with DC, too short but an absolute ball. so here is a photo and story array of my weekend.
- flew in. i had dinner plans with a friend, but my second leg of the trip from chicago was delayed so i had to cancel. 😦 instead of having a few hours, i ended up with 20 minutes to shower airplane stench off and get dressed.
- reception at the hotel in the aptly named “capital view ballroom.” it was a spectacular view and i met some really nice people. this is what it’s supposed to look like:
- this is what my camera captured [watch out annie leibovitz]:
- after the open bar reception ended, we went to a bar just down the street. i learned how to play shuffle puck! talked to some cute boys, including one who is good friends with a boy i dated last summer [which, surprisingly, was not at all awkward] and one who went to the same school as my dad. AND, one of my very favorite people from undergrad came, too. 🙂
- conference activities [learning] all day long. highlights included a super cute attorney from texas and my boss’s boss speaking [i was on my very best behavior].
- reception at SCOTUS, which was amazing. i met justice thomas! [add an infinite amount of exclamation points] definitely the highlight of the weekend–he was hilarious, polite, and generous with his time. he and i chatted about his love for detective novels, SEC football, he [good-naturedly] made fun of justice scalia, i got him to sign my pocket constitution, and i grabbed a picture with him.
- so yeah, we’re pretty much besties now.
- even when i wasn’t chatting it up with CT, i had a great time meeting new people [holla josh!] and chatting it up with old friends and acquaintances. it was truly a wonderful night and i was sad for it to end. after SCOTUSmania 2010, i went to dinner with some new friends and then we all went out for drinks. i was very well mostly behaved.
- flew back sunday after saying goodbye to all my new friends. i had a two hour layover in denver, so my family came to the airport to have dinner with me. they’re precious.
- there were 200 people at the conference and about 20% were female. can i just say the adage the odds may be good, but the goods are odd definitely did not extend to this conference. a truly lovely group of people, i may or may not have drooled over a man or two throughout the weekend. and i must say, the men swarmed, which is very good for this ginger’s ego. 😉
- it really was a fantastic weekend. wish i could go again tomorrow.
- NB: not everyone got a one-on-one picture with the justice, but i’m pretty sure there are at least 150 new facebook profile pictures featuring CT. everyone [including yours truly] uploaded them immediately. nerds 4 life!