even in happy la-la land where life is great and i’m generally incredibly happy, shit still happens and i still have a redheaded temper. with that as a preface, here we go with a rather cuss-laden post.
do you ever just want to shake people and scream what the fuck is wrong with you?!?! i have had that feeling more and more frequently. i often wonder where the hell people grew up where it is acceptable to behave like a fucking petulant child all the goddamned time even though you’re clearly an adult.
because that’s all i’ve been running into lately, i’ve decided to draft up a primer on rules for adulthood with a focus on law school. i’m going to distribute it to the whole damn world, but particularly the fine people with whom i attend law school. it’s clearly a work in progress, so please add your suggestions.
- apologies, though necessary and nice, don’t fix everything. what’s that? you’re sorry? then why the hell is this the 12th time you’ve done it? stop apologizing and just stop doing the offending action.
- have some damn dignity. i know this is just law school and law students are terrible people, but we’re future colleagues and i do have a memory. stand by your word, do things you wouldn’t mind telling your grandmother about, and for the love of god, enough with the cattiness.
- if you make a commitment, follow through. even if you don’t think it’s important, someone is relying on you. you can’t handle it? then don’t commit in the first place.
- excuses are like assholes–everyone has one and they all stink. either do your shit or don’t, but don’t give me some bullshit excuse. i would have so much more respect for you if you simply owned the fact that you didn’t do it and apologized. we all have a lot of things going on, i don’t care why you didn’t do it, just that you didn’t do what you told me you would.
- stop bitching about all of your mundane problems. 22,000 people are dead or missing in japan and you think anyone gives a shit about your struggle to decide whether to buy the day’s groupon? ugh. in all seriousness, the american teacher from virginia whose body they just found went to prep school with a lot of my friends from college. i never knew her but can see the ripples of tragedy reaching out. so incredibly sad.